Whether you’re preparing an all-hands meeting with your team or organizing a conference for your top customers, these seven essential tips will help you get the most out of Slido.
You can use these quick links to navigate. Let’s jump into it!
1. Personalize your event code
2. Learn how to manage audience questions
3. Learn how to manage polls
4. Display Slido to your audience
5. Share Slido before your meeting or event
6. Introduce Slido at the start of your meeting or conference
7. Get inspired by some amazing poll templates
Once you create your first Slido event, you can head straight to event settings to personalize your event code.
Your attendees will use this code to join Slido during your event.
All they need to do is go to Slido.com, type in the event code you created, and they’re ready to join the conversation.
Here are a few ideas to help you personalize it:
- Abbreviate the name of your conference, e.g., #FOM17
- Match it with your Twitter hashtag, e.g., #HRconference
- Select the name of your team meeting, e.g., #WeeklyRetrospective
Pro Tip: To crowdsource questions in advance, send a direct link to your Slido event before your meeting takes place.
Using Slido, you can crowdsource the best questions at your meetings or conferences. Attendees can upvote the questions they find relevant, which allows you to prioritize the top ones easily and see what resonates with your audience.
Here are three more tips to run an effective Q&A:
- Introduce Slido at the beginning to ensure attendees know about the opportunity to ask questions
- Encourage people to upvote the questions and post new ones during your meeting or presentation
- Have a moderator or a meeting facilitator to facilitate the discussion on stage or in your meeting room
Pro Tip: Turn on moderation to filter out irrelevant or even inappropriate questions before you display them live to your audience.
Using real-time polls, you can engage both your live and remote participants by asking them questions and displaying the results on-screen and on their smartphones.
When running polls at your meeting or conference, remember to:
- Allow enough time for people to send in their votes
- Comment on the live results displayed on-screen and give them context
- Go back to your results after the event and collect the insights from Analytics, where you can also export them.
If you’re not sure what questions to ask your audience, don’t worry! We’ve included a set of inspirational poll templates at the end of this article.
Before you kick off your event, you’re going to need:
- Present view displayed on a computer which is plugged into a projector or secondary screen
- A smartphone, tablet or another computer to manage questions and polls
- A stable internet connection
- Optional: A tablet for your moderator or meeting facilitator
Watch this short video and learn how to set up the equipment above for your meeting or conference or read this guide:
Pro Tip: Planning to use one computer to display both Slido and your presentation?
Switcher allows you to switch seamlessly between your slides and Slido questions or polls. With a single click, you can display your poll results or the top voted questions and then return to exactly where you left off. Learn more
Before your company meeting
- Include the event code or a direct link in your calendar invite
- Brief your Slido Admin who will help you approve and highlight questions
Pro Tip: To include your remote employees, be sure to check out this guide.
Before your conference
- Inform speakers in advance by sending them an email with details about how Slido works. Offer to upload their poll questions for their sessions
- Brief the moderators and room managers so they introduce Slido before each session
Here’s a short video that you can share with your speakers and moderators to brief them:
A good introduction is critical to get your attendees and colleagues on board with Slido. When you’re ready to begin, let your participants know you’ll be using Slido and explain the steps for joining the conversation.
Here’s a script that you can use at your event:
We’d love to make sure we address your most important questions at today’s [event/meeting]. Therefore, we’ll be using a tool that allows you to submit your questions and express your opinion by sending your votes in via live polls. To join:
- Simply take out your smartphone and open your browser
- Go to Slido.com and enter the event code [#meeting].
- You can now ask questions and upvote the best ones.
- Let’s all start with a poll question.
Pro Tip: Include an ice-breaker using a warm-up poll to make your introduction more interactive.
We’ve put together a collection of some great poll questions that we captured in this blog post.
Here are some of our favorite examples.
Learn more about your audience’s background
What is your current role? (multiple choice)
- Business Development
Kick off your meeting on a fun note
Which superpower would you like to have? (multiple choice)
- Mind reading
- I already have a superpower
Capture the expectations of your audience
What would you like to learn today? (open text)
What do you expect to get out of this meeting / event / training? (open text)
Good luck and let us know how it went!